Thursday, January 9, 2014

Taking a newborn to the beach for 2 days...?

best beach tent for newborn
 on baby toys Supplier | baby toys Products, Suppliers, Manufacturers
best beach tent for newborn image



Lindsey


My son is exactly 1 month old on Thursday. I want to take him to the beach on Thursday until Saturday. He's a really good baby and only cries when he's hungry or needs a change of diaper or wet clothes. He's very content while laying by himself awake. I am taking him to the beach on Thursday and am wondering what exactly needs to be done to protect him from the sun? I will be getting an umbrella as well as setting up a make-shift tent for him. If he is well shaded, will suntan lotion for infants be necessary? He is a white baby but has tanner skin (neither dad and I burn, we tan when in the sun) and he has dark hair (So what I'm getting at is he doesn't have extra sun sensitivity as say a very fair skinned baby). Also, I breastfeed, so while I'm on the beach I'll be feeding him as much as he wants to keep hydrated. Is this too young to take to the beach for 2 whole days? I feel ok with this, but I just want some opinions and things that will make it easier on the beach.
Can I take a bottle of cool water and occasionally wet him down with a cool washcloth if it's warm out. It's only supposed to get to 85 degrees on the days we'll be on the beach. I'll also bring lotion to make sure his skin doesn't get dried out either.



Answer
#1 You are not suppossed to put sunblock on an infant younger than 6 months old. The chemicals can absorb into the skin and make them sick.

#2 Babies skin is much more sensative than yours or your husbands so using yourselves as a gauge is silly. You've had years to toughen up your skin...your baby is brand new.

#3 The sun is not the only thing you have to worry about,
Bugs, wind, pollution, cold at night, disruptions and noise at night, wild animals.

My son is 9 Months as we JUST took our first trip...and we stayed in a hotel to boot.

In my opinion, this is too young for outdoor adventures especially in the dead of summer.

If you MUST go, KidCo makes an excellent "Travel Bed" it's actually a tiny pop tent that shades baby and keeps the bugs away.

Personally I would stay home...you have your whole lives to camp at the beach...why take such a fragile little guy there now?

To me...it's not worth the risk.

At what age could you bring a baby...?




New Mom


camping on the beach in California?

I'm due July 21. My family goes every year for a week to San Clemente, CA and camps at the beach (well, at a camp ground right behind the beach that has bathrooms and running water). They are going the beginning of August and some think that it would be okay for me to bring my newborn! But I don't think that's a wise decision at all. I already know that I am not going, nor is my newborn. I just wanted to know what other people think.



Answer
I giggled a little when I read some of the answers you received. I think it's a completely personal decision based on your comfort level with taking the baby out of their normal environment when they are newborn. Now, I do not live in California (been there a lot, but not camping) so I do not know what the camping is like there...but my husband and I take our children camping all the time. Even when they were very young. My oldest was born in March and camping season starts in May where we are from and we took her camping in May they year she was born...so she would have been about 2 months old. Our second child was born in the beginning of September and that is prime camping season! LOL! We took her when she was only a few weeks old. Now...we are not camping in tents. We have a camper that is like a mini house. It has a kitchen with a frig, freezer and micro. We have a water tank filled with water form our home so it's safe to use it to bathe and wash dishes. We have a generator which we use when we go camping places that do not have electricity. So...it's close to being at home. Maybe a bit different than your situation, I don't know. My kids did just fine. We will take this child camping whenever we feel like we want to go after he is born also. We really enjoy camping as do our children. Newborns just sleep most of the day so it's not like your child would be out in the sun much, probably spending most of her time in the stroller or car seat covered. And btw...babies are not suppose to wear sunscreen until they are 6 months old (per my physician anyway). Hats and light clothing to cover the skin are recommended. The baby can stay cool in the shade. They also make bug nets to go over car seat/carriers and strollers if bugs are an issue. The trip sounds like lots of fun!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Taking a newborn to the beach for 2 days...?
Rating: 95% based on 9878 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment