Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What should you bring in an SUV for some camping on cross country trip?

ll bean beach tent
 on Fombag.com | Giant Foam Filled Bean Bag Chairs
ll bean beach tent image



agreeableo


I want to know what to throw in the generous space in my Toyota Highlander for me to camp, as much as I can stand, in both commercial and public (government owned) campgrounds. Readers answered my question about commercial campgrounds allowing an SUV with a tent to rent a full-service hookup spot. The answer was that they likely would and that non-commercial spots would be good too. I am still wondering how to do this because I am horrible at simplifying anything. My direction is to complicate everything. Now I am thinking any savings at the pay campgrounds with a full hookup will be offset by the cost of new equipment I would have to buy and in time and comfort. Since I might end up only camping out for 1-2 days at a time to save money and maybe even enjoy the outdoors, I am thinking it might be better to just plan on staying at a regular campsite that allows me to pull in with the SUV, set up a little tent and do without electric/water hookups and such at a full service spot. However, I've not camped at all since the Army in 1953, so don't know what to bring. My only other camping experience was in my own camper/truck RV that wrecked and nearly killed me and later a regular full size rental RV that was much more pleasant. Unfortunately, I don't have money for an RV. So to still get outside a motel, I am thinking the solution is more simple camping. Heck, I might need to just sleep in the back of the SUV on a good mattress,at the rate I'm going. I will be purposely homeless and living on that old fixed income (like almost broke) in June. Moving to try and find less expensive digs in Las Vegas.


Answer
Car camp "bumming" is not a big deal -- I have done it many times in my life. Even just crashing in your car it's nice to spend a few bucks for the campsites with an electric hookup. Buy the newest Rand McNally campground guide to the USA and pick small "mom and pop" campgrounds rather than the KOA and other commercial operations. Most of the family run campgrounds, especially out west, are quite nice. I've been at some where they had really nice private shower houses and bring you fresh coffee cake in the morning. Most such places will have a picnic table at each site as well as the electric connection. Get a cheap electric tea kettle or small Mr Coffee to heat water and an electric frying pan to cook in. I've even traveled with a tiny "half-pint" microwave oven. Anything you need to cook can be handled with those, Keep them stashed in a plastic dishpan that you can then use to clean up with (most campgrounds have bathrooms and shower houses for hot water.) Bring a couple of plastic tablecloths to cover the picnic table (you can get clips that will keep the corners from blowing up in the garden departments of places like K-Mart and Target.) Bring one of those $10 folding chairs. A couple of large cheap beach towels are handy for showering -- get skimpy thin ones and they will dry faster, draped over the car hood in the morning. Bring a small cooler, preferably the "soft" collapsible ones. A set of plastic dishes, bowls, cups and silverware and a plastic spatula and serving spoon -- all of them cheap at the K-mart or even large drug store picnic goods displays. A small bottle of Dr, Bronners liquid soap (I like the almond type) that they sell at health food stores is great for washing yourself and the dishes as well as rinsing out socks and underwear. Keep a couple of hanks of parachute nylon cord for rigging clothelines or tying up the tent. A swiss army knife or multitool that includes scissors and a small saw is handy. Also matches, since some campsites will have small barbecue grills you can cook on. Bring a couple of plastic gallon jugs (or just buy bottled water gallons and save them) to fill at the campground sinks for water for drinking and cleaning.

Sleeping in a spacious tent is more comfortable than the back of the car. Check Craigslist for a used one (I got a terrific 8' x 8' x 6' tall tent for $100 on CL last summer) or check out Campmor.com for a nice full sized 3 or 4 person one around that price. It makes a big difference being able to stand up and move around. You can get an inflatable mattress for under $20 -- very comfortable to sleep on either in the back of the car or in the tent. Pick one with the electric inflater included or buy a decent hand pump. Inflating one by blowing into it will make your head spin. Buy an LED headlamp or two for lighting around camp and in the tent. Places like Harbor Freight Tools and Autozone have nice cheap ones. I also like having a hand crank radio -- LL Bean sells them. You just crank them to charge the batteries and its nice to have something to listen to in the tent or at the picnic table. Also a small cheap plastic table fan (again, something to find at discount stores or drug stores) and an extension cord to run into the tent on hot nights.

Keep all your stuff in large tote bags or plastic milkcrates so it is easy to locate and to load and unload out of the car. use an old pillowcase to collect dirty laundry -- some campsites will have coin op washers and dryers.

Personally, I love the "gypsy" life of driving to a new campground every night on wandering cross country trips. Some of my favorite memories are of the times I did this throughout the Western States. There is a great sense of freedom in having everything you need stashed in a car and being able to set up your "homesite" each day in half an hour or so. Anyway, I hope you find some of my tips useful --have fun and good luck in Vegas!

What do you think about Brazil?




Victor


I'm not brazilian but I live here in Brazil for about 7 years and I realy love it. Hundreds of beaches, days are always sunny, beautifull girls etc etc etc... I'm asking this question because some people think that Brazil has primitive people, monkeys running around the street and that "50% of the population are indian tribes". Seriously, the only tribes and monkeys you'll find here are in reservations and Zoo's... And I realy got disturbed after watching a episode of The Simpsons, that they go to Brazil... They describe it as a realy poor place, full with psycos, and theres even a snake in the middle of Corcovado... I also felt the same thing when I saw the movie "Turistas". I don't have any comments about that movie... I really don't accept the fact that people are destroying the name of one of the most beautifull country's in the world. I don't know what they have against this place. And no, people don't live in tiny tents like represented in media. So, is this a tip of ignorance?


Answer
Quite a bit - having lived there for several months. I picked up the language, I love the music (from MPB to samba to rock), the food (from rice and beans to churrascarias), the futebol (ah, the beautiful game), the people are amazing (I have friends who I consider family), the scenery (Iguacu to Rio to the Pantanal to the beaches), the art and architecture. Brasil is an amazing place and I look forward to returning.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What should you bring in an SUV for some camping on cross country trip?
Rating: 95% based on 9878 ratings. 4,5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment